- Economic and political inequalities led to the Mexican Revolution.
- Examples of resistance to imperialism included Pan-Africanism, Pan-Arabism, and Gandhi's civil disobedience campaign in India.
- In China, the nationalists under Jiang Jieshi and the communists under Mao Zedong competed for power.
- Postwar disillusion and new mass media reshaped western culture.
- A global economic depression caused widespread misery and threatened the stability of democratic governments.
- Authoritarian and totalitarian states such as Japan, the Soviet Union, Italy, and Germany placed loyalty to the state above individual rights.
Watch the My Story Video
to explore the efforts of Mohandas Gandhi to win independence for India.