- The prophet of Islam was Muhammad, who preached his beliefs and built up the Muslim faith.
- After Muhammad's death, Islam spread across Southwest Asia and to many other parts of the world.
- Art, architecture, and literature flourished in the Muslim empires, and Muslims made advances in many fields of learning.
- In Africa, trade of food, gold, and salt developed into a trans-Saharan trade network, and rulers created powerful kingdoms.
- Christianity and Islam spread to many regions of Africa, and people who adopted those religions often blended them with their local practices and beliefs.
Watch the My Story Video
to learn about the travels of Ibn Battuta.