- After the decline of Rome, Western Europe entered a period of disorder as invaders swept across the region.
- Medieval Europe saw the development of a political and economic structure known as feudalism.
- Improvements in agriculture led to a growing population and the revival of trade and travel.
- Religion shaped the lives of European Christians, and the Church came to wield considerable power.
- In the Crusades, Christians battled Muslims for control of the Holy Land in the Middle East.
- Changing conditions and the growing power of monarchs began to build the framework for the modern nation-state.
Watch the My Story Video
to see modern craftspeople build a castle using medieval tools and techniques.